Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rome Days 1-2

As you might've figured, I can't upload pictures from this computer, so I have no motivation to post. It is sad because I cannot finish Paris or Berlin, and I can't show you any of the awesomeness from Rome. I even took some pictures with the intent of using specific captions, and now, all is for naught.

So instead, I'll just post the captions I thought of without pictures!

(pic)
Shit, yo. I'm Jesus. I'm the real deal! Ain't no frontin' here.

(pic)
Pope Pius VIII unfortunately looked away just as the sculptor was about to make this statue's pupils.

(pic)
Talk about a nasty splinter!

(pic)
Ahh the beautiful Spanish Steps, or as the Italians call them, something with nothing to do with Spain. I find the structure in the upper left to be by far the most beautiful architecture I have seen on my trip. Follow the lines slightly down and to the right for a surprise.

(pic)
Pope Benedict II is either trying to perform a Vulcan greeting or repping the West Side.

(pic)
Early Etruscan art very closely mimics ancient Greek art. Note especially the bronzed pita in the lower left.

(pic)
Most of the paintings in the Vatican Museum are quite similar to one another, by far the most popular being the baby Jesus sitting upon Mary's lap, his hand held in the teaching position. That makes this painting all the stranger, with Mary having turned the tables by sitting upon the baby Jesus.

(pic)
Many ages ago, this grassy stone pit would have been filled with naked Romans cavorting about during a bath. I think I prefer it this way.

Also it was pretty incredible to learn during the course of one meal:
-I've been eating salad at the wrong time
-Romans don't eat garlic too much
-Salad dressing is olive oil and white vinegar maybe with some salt (for the avant garde only)
-Balsamic vinegar is not for salads
-Pan pizzas and Hawaiian pizzas strike Romans like being slapped in the face
-The show "with the genius who is also stupid and wears glasses and suspenders from the united states, but also next door there is the father policeman" has unfortunately made it out of the States

9 Comments:

Blogger JKB said...

okay. i think i got larry king. who's the policeman next door? either everybody loves raymond or saints preserve us, that erkel show???

March 25, 2008 at 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Erkel...

Wow, the captions were funny even without the pictures! And this way, when we get to see the pix, we can try and match them up to the comment. Like states and capitals...

March 25, 2008 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Wow, DLC got a pop culture reference faster than JKB, something is wrong in the universe.

March 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JKB is tired today, otherwise she woulda had instant recognition...it's Anna's birthday!

March 25, 2008 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Oh, that's totally cool then.

March 26, 2008 at 6:29 AM  
Blogger JKB said...

thanks dawgs, for making excuses for me. i was setting the italian standards of taste way too high, i guess. seems they only apply to footwear, clothing and home furnishings. erkel!!!

March 26, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When should you eat your salad?

March 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you know you're going to burn in hell for your blasphemy.

March 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Hey, I had to run this post by Bendict himself, so I'm in the clear. He gave me a couple notes, I changed some stuff, so you're really seeing the PG cut, blasphemy-wise.

March 27, 2008 at 3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home